The United Way of Ulster County plays a unique role in our community by targeting funds to high quality, local programs and services that meet identified community needs. We do this by:
- Assessing community needs through periodic needs assessments including focus groups, community forums, key informant interviews, and individual surveys.
- Participation on local boards and community councils charged with identifying gaps in services, and developing strategies to address them.
- Determining what programs best address identified needs through a rigorous and competitive grant process that requires grantees to have measurable objectives, a plan for program evaluation and proof of program impact.
- Evaluating programs through in-depth interviews with program staff, observation of programs in action, and review of program documentation.
- Playing a leadership role in the development and coordination of community services to address emerging needs.