“This has been a miracle for me. I have had some bumpy experiences that have been met with patience,
compassion and tolerance.”
Raising HOPE (Help, Opportunity, Passion, Empowerment) is a woman’s mentoring program United Way created in response to a community need. Its intent is to help women in need of support develop and achieve educational and career goals in order to become financially stable and self-sufficient. Our experience has proven that having a mentor to guide, advise, and encourage is a powerful instrument of change.
Raising HOPE Scholarship
Since 2010, United Way’s Raising HOPE program has awarded $69,000 in scholarships to women in Ulster County.
Scholarship applicants must be Ulster County female residents, high school graduates or the equivalent, and be accepted to a 2-year or 4-year college or vocational /professional program.
The application, essay, and most recent transcript must be postmarked by April 15th, 2020. Top candidates will be contacted for personal interviews.
The Raising HOPE Scholarship is a one-time award paid directly to the school to offset tuition and book fees.
Follow and Like Raising HOPE
Who is eligible?
If you are over 18 and free of drug, alcohol or domestic violence issues for at least six months you are eligible!
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Contact Raising HOPE Program Assistant Director, Tasha Ortloff at 845-331-4199, ext.5 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to get an application.
2. Complete your application and submit via:
Mail: Raising HOPE c/o UCUW, 450 Albany Avenue, Kingston, NY 12401.
3. Meet with Raising HOPE Program Director Amy for an in- depth interview. Based on your interview, she will match you with a mentor.
4. Meet your mentor at the Raising HOPE Orientation (childcare provided).
5. Develop personal, educational, and career goals with your mentor.
6. Work with your mentor twice/month face-to-face for 1-2 hours and twice/month check in by text/phone.
Find out more about becoming a mentee with Raising HOPE.
Who is eligible?
Mentors must be at least 30 years old, have life experience they’d like to share and a sincere desire to help others.
Here’s what you need to do.
1. Contact Raising HOPE Assistant Program Director, Tasha Ortloff at 845-33-4199, ext. 5 or email her at email@example.com to get a mentor application.
2. Complete your application submit via:
Mail: Raising HOPE c/o UCUW, 450 Albany Ave., Kingston, NY 12401.
3. Schedule an in-depth interview where we will get to know your skills, values, and talents, in order to match you with a suitable mentee.
4. Attend mentor training and mentee/mentor orientation, where you will meet your mentee.
5. Meet with your mentee twice/month for one year, in order to help her develop and achieve her personal, career, and educational goals.
Find out more about becoming a mentor with Raising HOPE.