Volunteer Tax Preparers and Greeters are needed in the months of January, February, and March to assist low-income individuals in completing their tax returns. Tax Preparers complete IRS training online, review with a certified United Way volunteer, and take online certification exams in order to qualify. Greeters receive 1-2 hours of training, and are responsible for answering non-technical, procedural questions, organizing taxpayer documents, and gathering basic intake information. No prior experience is necessary.
The Volunteer Tax Preparer Job Description is below and should be reviewed for further details, or contact DJ Hines, Chief Financial Officer, United Way of Ulster County at DJ Hines at 331-4199, ext. 3 for more information.
- Attend basic tax law training, including use of electronic filing software. Approximately, 6-10 hours classroom training, and 10 hours on-line training/certification.
- Successfully pass test to receive IRS Certification.
- Prepare customer’s return based on information provided by customer or answer tax related questions.
- Interview customer to determine if all income, deductions, and allowable credits are claimed.
- Prepare tax returns using electronic filing software.
- Refer customers with complex returns to the IRS website or help number, or tax practitioner or firm – however never refer customers to a specific practitioner or firm.
- Identify all returns with the site Identification Number assigned to your site.
- Ensure no compensation of any kind is accepted for the volunteer services provided.
- Maintain confidentiality of customer information.
- Ensure on-site quality review is performed on completed returns prior to being returned to customer.
- Ensure a copy of the completed return is provided to the customer.
- Basic tax knowledge (Form 1040, Form 1040A, and form 1040EZ). Basic tax training and certification will be provided as needed.
- Basic computer skills for inputting tax return information.
- Pride in performing tasks completely and accurately.
- Deal with the public in a helpful and supportive manner, including interviewing skills. Interviewing skills training will be provided as needed.
- Friendly, dependable, and flexible.
Being a volunteer tax preparer is very rewarding. Our customers are so appreciative; they are living paycheck to paycheck and we're able to so bring them some financial relief. At the end of the day, you really feel like you've made a difference.